Home Cycling Articles (98) European Cycling Henk's Paris-Brest-Paris
Site Menu
About Us
What is New in 2018
What was New in 2017
Countries Articles (879)
Current Travel Log
Cycling Articles (98)
Fellow Travellers (78)
Logs & Newsletters (169)
Looking Out
Motorhome Insurers (33)
Motorhoming Articles (120)
Ramblings (48)
Readers' Comments (770)
Travellers' Websites (45)
Useful Links (64)
Search the Website
Contact Us

Henk's Paris-Brest-Paris PDF Printable Version E-mail




Written by Henk Verouden and translated from the French by Margaret Williamson

September 2007

Introduction by Barry Williamson

We met Henk_in_NZ.jpgDutch Couple, Henk and Karin Verouden, in the shadow of Mount Cook on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island in 2001. They were riding their tandem and pulling a trailer; we were on touring bicycles on our 12,000-mile round the world ride.

We kept in touch and later Henk and Karin moved to France. They live near Lake Annecy on the edge of the Alps, where they are now raising their two sons. More recently, we learned that Henk was training for the 2007 Paris–Brest–Paris bicycle event (known as the PBP), which is a 750-mile(1200 km) round trip to be cycled within a 90 hour time limit. The PBP began in 1891 and is now held every four years, hosted by the Audax Club Parisien.

Because of the difficulty of the PBP, cyclists are required to complete a series of four brevets (certificates, diplomas) in order to qualify. The traditional brevet series consists of rides of 200 km (125 mile), 300 km (190 mile), 400 km (250 mile) and 600 km (375 mile), with time limits of less than a day for all but the 600 km which has a 40-hour limit. Brevet series events are held all over the world by local organizations to provide cyclists with the opportunity to qualify.

In June 2007, Henk did the 400 km brevet in a time of 13 hours and 20 minutes (an average speed of 30 km/h or 19 mph). Below is his amazing and humorous account of his later 600 km brevet. Written in French, Henk, a true European, is also fluent in Dutch, German and English. Not least impressive is the total height he climbed on the ride: 4,000 metres or 13,200 ft.

Later, Henk took part in the 16th PARIS-BREST-PARIS Randonneur, which was organized by the AUDAX CLUB and ran between August 20th to 24th, 2007. His account of this ride is also given below.


380 miles in 23.5 hours of cycling including 13,200 ft of climbing

"The departure time was much better than expected – not 0400 hrs but 0700. Unfortunately, not everyone was informed but, thanks to the kindness of the organizers, those of us who arrived too early were still allowed to set off at the expected hour. These days, with Internet everywhere, attention really should be paid to communication, as often the Internet is the only source of information for those who live far away!

Departure was good and fast, with fine weather and strong legs. A group of 6 people joined me and we rode well together. I was leading my group in the tour when, after 180 km, we crossed a road. In another 2 km I turned to let another rider take the lead … and there was no-one! Then I waited for a minute, as sometimes I ride too fast, but saw nothing. Afterwards, they said they had shouted but I heard nothing at all.

There was still 480 km to go, which I rode all alone. Losing this group was not good for my morale. 20 km later I didn't understand the instructions and lost another 10 minutes. At the same time it got hotter – 32 deg in the afternoon and still 28 deg at 1900 hrs. I had only one thing in my head: to arrive at Chabeuil after 345 km and call Karin to come and find me, as I was exhausted, not only by my broken morale but by the heat; my legs felt as if they were filled with yoghurt.

As I arrived at Chabeuil at 2100 hrs, the leading group was just starting to leave. Oh-la, was I happy! That meant that I wasn't very late. In the restaurant I found the Swiss riders who had also set off at 0400 hrs. They were also exhausted by the heat. Seeing a plate of spaghetti, I recovered. My morale was restored. I spoke to Karin and to the man on the recumbent bicycle. Leaving at 2200 hrs, I was still in good shape and good spirits! I set off for St Etienne and St Geoirs, the wind behind me. I overtook the 2 Swiss and the recumbent, who had left the restaurant half an hour earlier, and felt very happy. Cycling at night was magnificent.

At around 0200 hrs near Le Grand Lemps, where I should have gone left, I turned right. After a good climb and descent, I discovered I was 7 km from Voiron. I had no map with me and I didn't know which way to go. Luckily someone came out of a night-club. 'Good night, monsieur. Is Morestel straight on?' 'Er, no, Morestel is more on the other side, but it's very complicated. Start by riding in the direction of Charavines.' Phew, what a climb!

Reaching Charavines, I met two young men coming from I know not where, though they'd had plenty to drink. 'Good evening, lads; which way to Morestel?' 'Eh, monsieur, you must be mad, it's 50 km!' I explained that I'd already done 450 km and they thought they really must have drunk so much that they were hallucinating! But OK, the instructions were 'follow Les Abrets'. Then I went by the Lake of Paladru and found Morestel at about 0500 hrs.

The return to Seynod was hard, as my legs were starting to feel bad. At Chanaz I had another conversation at the baker's. 'A large coffee, please.' 'Oh Monsieur, you've already done a cycle ride?' 'Yes yes, I've done 550 km up to now.' 'Well, monsieur, I rode 30 km myself yesterday, but 50 km is very good.' 'No, madame, 550 km …' A minute later she returned: 'Monsieur, did you really say 550 km?' 'Yes, madame, just 50 km to go.' She left, returning half a minute later: 'Excuse me, monsieur, but I am intrigued about how and why?' So I explained about the awards for the PBP (Paris-Brest-Paris ride, for which I was training).

Arriving at Seynod at 1030 hrs I was certain I'd never do a similar ride again, but now I'm not so sure! Be careful if you go on a ride like that, you risk it becoming an addiction!


Some statistics:

Distance cycled: 609 km (380 miles)

4,000 metres of climbing (13,200 ft)

23 hrs 30 mins in the saddle with 4 hours rest gives a total 27 hrs 30 mins

Average speed 26 km/hr (16 mph)

This is Henk's own account of the ride, written in French:

"L'heure pour le départ était beaucoup agréable que prévu. Ne pas 04:00 mais 07:00. Malheureusement ne pas tout la monde était au courant. Grâce a la gentillesse d'organisateur les gens trop tôt pouvait quand même partir à leur moment prévu. Aujourd'hui avec une Internet partout il faut vraiment faire attention de mise à jour l'information car souvent l'Internet est la seule source d'information pour des gens qui habite loin !

Le départ était vite et bon. Du beau temps, jambes fort. Un groupe de 6 personnes était autour de moi et on à bien roulé ensemble. Apres 180km on a traversé une route, j'ai pris la tête du group pour mon tour, après 2 km je me suis tourne pour me laisser remplacer à la tête…. et il n'y a personne…. Alors, j'attendu une minute car parfois je roule trop vite mais rien… Apres ils ont dit que ils ont crie mais j'avais vraiment rien attendu.

Il reste alors 480km et j'ai les ai roulé tout seule. Perdre ce groupe n'était pas bon pour la morale. 20km plus loin je ne comprenais pas les instructions alors encore 10 minutes perdues… En même temps le chaleur venait… 32° l'après midi et a 19 :00 il était encore 28°. Il me reste que une chose dans la tête… arriver à Chabeuil après 345km et appeler Karin pour me venir cherche car j'étais épuise et cassée. Ne pas seulement par le morale mais aussi par le chaleur et des jambes qui était rempli avec le yaourt.

Arrivant à Chabeuil à 21:00 le group de tête était juste en train de partir. Oh, la j'était content. Ca voulait dire que je n'avais pas si beaucoup de retard. Dans le restaurant étaient aussi les swiss qui avaient parti à 4 :00 le matin. Eux aussi épuisent par la chaleur. Regardent un plat de spaghetti je me suis retrouvé. La morale revenait. Je parlais à Karin et à l'homme du vélo couche. Partent à 22 :00 heures j'étais encore en plain forme et plain morale ! Le vent dans la dot je suis parti pour Saint Etienne de Saint Geoirs. Je dépassais les 2 swiss et le vélo couche qui avaient parti une demi-heure plus tôt du restaurant et j'étais bien contant. C'était magnifique rouler la nuit.

Au tour 2:00 au tour Le Grand Lemps je devrais aller a gauche et j'ai pris à droit me retrouvent après une bonne monte et décente 7 km avant Voiron. J'avais aucune carte avec mois et je ne savais pas où aller. Heureusement il était quelque un qui sortait d'une boîte de nuit. Bon nuit monsieur, Morestel c'est tout droit ? Heu… ? Non Morestel est plutôt l'autre cote.. mais c'est très complique… mais commence a rouler dans la direction de Charavines… ppfff, ça montait ! Arrivent a Charavines encore deux jeunes garçons sortant de je ne sais pas ou mais ils avaient trop bu… Bonsoir jeune hommes, Morestel c'est par ou ? Euuh, monsieur vous êtes fou, ça fait 50km ! J'expliquais qui j'avais fait déjà 450 km et ils pensaient d'avoir ce fois si vraiment trop bu que ils étaient en train de halluciner… Mais ok, les instructions étaient : « suivre Les Abrets ». Alors je suis allé par lac de Paladru et j'ai retrouve Morestel au tour de 5:00.

Le retour à Seynod était dur car les jambes étaient en train de commencer à faire mal. A Chanaz une autre rencontre chez la boulangerie… Grande Café svp.. à monsieur vous avez fait déjà une tour. Qui qui, juste a maintenant j'ai fait 550km. A bien monsieur mois j'ai fait aussi 30 km hier mais 50km est bon ! No madame 550km… ah oh, 1 minute plus tard elle revenait, monsieur vous avez bien dit 550km ? Oui madame, encore 50 a faire. Elle partirait et une demi minute plus tard elle revenait encore, excusez mois monsieur mais sa m'intrigue, comment et pourquoi ? Alors j'ai expliquait les brevets pour PBP et je suis parti pour le dernier parti. Arrivent a 10 :30 a Seynod j'étais sure de plus jamais faire une tour pareil mais maintenant je ne suis plus si sure ! Alors faites attention quand vous faites des tours comme celui, ça risque de devenir une drogue !

Quelques statistiques : 609KM, 4000 mètres de dénivellation, 23:30 de selle, 4 heures de repos en totale 27:30 heures la moyenne 26 km/h.

Henk"   ()



The aim is to cycle  due west from Paris to Brest, on the coast of Brittany, and back again. The 1,200 km or 750 miles has to be ridden in 55 to 80 hours. Henk aimed for a time of about 60 hours. To find out more about the ride, click: Paris-Brest-Paris 2007

Margaret's Translation of Henk's Account of the Ride 

The day has finally arrived. After months of preparation, I'm going to do the Paris-Brest-Paris on Monday. 1,230 km by bicycle. I hope to finish during the night between Wednesday and Thursday. That is to say, a time of less than 60 hours.

Naturally, I can do as many calculations as I like, but the distance is so great and the variables so diverse that all the calculations can only be wild estimates! The difficulties include, for example: 2 or 3 nights without sleep, the distance, pain in the legs/buttocks/back/arms and of course psychological distress. Fortunately, Karin is going to join me at the control posts to refill my bottles, etc …

5,300 participants this year. A friendly hotel in le Chevreuse. The studio had a small kitchen, so I was not dependant on chips from the restaurants but could eat Karin's spaghetti!

At about 1600 hrs we went to the start. There were already a lot of people. We changed our clothes and filled ourselves with glycogen cake. At the cycle control there were already so many people that it was clear I could not set off at 2000 hrs with the first group (1 group equals 500 cyclists), but in the second group at 2015 hrs.

We were lined up at abPBP_Start.jpgout 2015! I was far back in this second group but I immediately started to work my way towards the head. My speed sometimes reached 45 km/hr, which is not bad for an eliminating heat. In any case, life was less complicated around the head of the group, as riding with 500 cycle-tourists who have no experience of riding in a peloton is not easy. The backs of the groins, the crowding, the groaning of the brakes, the screeching of metal, the falls, the curses - who said that it was a race for cycle-tourists?

But it was good! The audience in the streets, the clapping, the music and the friends.

Night fell quietly. A terrific sight! The little red lamps in front of me and, when I looked back, white headlamps on the bikes and helmets behind. The route was undulating and alternating. After 50 km the road was all damp, though it was still not raining. We rode carefully on the descents and round the bends but nevertheless, from time to time, someone would go off the road with unknown consequences.

At the head of this second peloton (perhaps 50 cyclists), it went well. Sometimes I also took the lead, though I knew well that with 1,200 km to do it was necessary to save myself a little. So my cardiac rhythm was around 75% of hfmax. At the first post, after 122 km, my average was 32.7 km/hr. Then I lost the head of the second group, as I wanted to talk to Karin, while the others took a bag of food from their escorts and continued. OK, I continued on my own and it didn't matter, since the pace was perhaps a bit too fast, given the 1,200 km.

In any case, it was about 0030 hrs and starting to drizzle. I was a little angry as the signpost arrows were barely visible. In daylight, a large card with a big arrow was clearly visible but in the black of night, only the top of the arrow was reflective. Maybe 5 cm by 5 cm! But OK, I wasn't alone and I only needed to follow the red lamps in front of me … so I did. The lamps descended, climbed … hey, white lamps in front of me? A different tour? Hey, there aren't many red lamps behind me …mmm, stop, map, oh yes, 14 km wasted … So it was 30 minutes extra for nothing.

At the same time the drizzle turned into heavy rain. After 221 km there was a control post and my average was 30.4 km/hr. Many kilometres followed. We talked a bit on the left, on the right, and thank goodness, around 0600 hrs it stopped raining for a whole hour!

But to cut a long story short …

It rained heavily. The route was tedious. There were no views, unlike the Alps. On the other side of the road were the signposts for the return. Nobody was along the route, no people, nothing. Rotten weather forecast for the whole race. My ligaments were a bit painful, due to the humidity and the cold. So with my morale at zero, I asked myself personal questions … why are you doing this? The answer was 'for myself'! But I had nothing to prove, no family or friends around, no sun, only the rain and the grind. Certain that it would be fine at the weekend and that I had friends in the Netherlands to ride with, I decided to finish at Loudéac after 455 km.

I was onlyPBP_in_the_Rain.jpg 15 minutes behind in my 56-hour schedule. I had no pain in my legs or buttocks, just a little in the knee. But my morale was broken. My final average speed at Loudéac was 29 km/hr. So I had enough time to rest a little, ride more slowly and still arrive within 80 hours, but this sun-lover had had enough. Karin was not against the decision, as she was exhausted after a sleepless night in the car, finding the route, etc. It's better to have 2 people in a support car! Sometimes she had only just parked the car and found me already there!

A great number of cyclists continued. I raise my hat to them. I hope they are now well recovered, to continue cycling! 30% of the riders dropped out, and the number who completed within the scheduled time is not indicated at present.

And the next PBP (Paris-Brest-Paris) for me? I don't know. The bar is going to be set higher - to make it in under 50 hours one needs to train for 18,000 km in the year of the PBP, as well as plenty the previous year. This time I had done 8,500 km.

But riding at night is fantastic and addictive.

Henk ()

Here is a list of the Control Points




































Henk's Original Account

Finalement le jour est venu. Apres des mois de préparation je vais lundi faire le Paris- Brest-Paris. 1230 km en vélo. J'espère de finir la nuite entre mercredi et jeudi. Ca veut dire un temps dessous les 60 heures. Naturellement je peut faire des calculassions comme je veut mais la distance est si grande et les variables si divers que tous les calculassions ne peut être que des grandes estimations! Des choses difficiles sont par exemple: 2 à 3 nuits sans dormir, la distance, mal au jambes / fesses / dos / bras et bien sur psychiquement. Heureusement Karin va me joindre dans les postes de contrôles et me remplir et donner des bidons etc...

Le but : Paris Brest Paris entre 55 et 80 heures.

5300 participants cette année. Un hôtel sympathique dans le Chevreuse. Le studio avait une petite cuisine alors j'étais non dépendant des frites des restaurants mais pouvait manger le spaghetti de Karin !

Autour 16:00 heures nous sommes allée au départ. Il y avait déjà du monde. Revêtir et se remplir avec du gâteau glycogène. Au contrôle du vélo il était déjà si beaucoup du monde que il était clair que je ne pouvais pas partir dans le premier group (1 group est 500 vélos) de 20:00 mais dans la deuxième de 20:15.

Vers 20:15 nous sommes tires! J'étais loin derrière dans ce 2ieme groupe alors j'ai commence tout de suite le travail pour arriver au tête du groupe. La vitesse par fois autour 45 kmh, quelque chose qui n'est pas mal pour un critérium. Dans tout les cas, autour la tête du groupe la vie étais moins compliqué car rouler avec 500 cyclotouristes qui n'ont pas l'expérience de rouler dans une peloton ce n'est pas donnée.  Les dos de l'aine, les rétrécissements, les freins gémissants, le crissement de métal, les chutes, les blasphémé, qui disait que c'était une parcours pour des cyclotouristes?

Mais c'était bon ! La publique dans les rues, les claquements des mains, la musique et l'entourage. 

Calmement la nuit venait. Un aspect formidable! Le petit lampes rouges devant moi et au moment ou je me retournais, des lampes blanches sur les vélos et casques derrière mois. Le parcours était vallonné et alternante. Apres 50km la route était tout humide mais il ne pleuvait pas encore. Dans les descentes et les virages on a roulé prudemment mais quand même de temps en temps quelque un est allée à cote de la route avec des conséquences inconnues.

Au tête de ce 2ieme peloton, peut être 50 personnes, on a bien roulé. Par fois j'ai aussi pris la tête mais je savais bien que avec 1200km à faire, il faut se épargné une peu. Alors le rythme cardiaque était au tour de 75% de hfmax. Au première poste après 122 km, la moyenne était 32.7 kmh. Tout de suite j'ai perdu la tête du 2ieme groupe car je voulais parlé à Karin et les autres ont qu pris une sac avec de la nourriture de leurs accompagnateurs et ont continue. Ok, j'ai continue seule et ce n'était pas grave car vu le 1200km je trouvais que la vitesse était peut être une peu trop élevé.

Dans tout les cas, il était au tour de 00:30 et la bruine venait. J'était une peu au colère car les flèches de signalisation étaient très mal visible. Avec la lumière du jour on voyait un grand carton avec une grande flèche bien visible mais dans la noire de la nuit, seulement la tête de la flèche était reflétant. Peut être 5 chez 5 centimètre ! Mais ok, je n'étais pas seule et il fallait que suivre des lampes rouges avant moi… alors j'ai fait…. Les lampes descendait, montaient, hé, des lampes blanches avant moi ? Une autre tour ? Hé, il n'y a pas beaucoup des lampes rouges derrière moi. mmmwoo, arrêt, carte, à oui, 14 km pour le chat ces …. Alors c'était encore 30 minutes de plus pour rien.

Dans le même temps la bruine était devenu la pluie forte. Apres 221 km il était une poste du contrôle et la moyenne était sur 30.4 kmh. Beaucoup des kilomètres ont suivi. Parlé une peu à gauche, à droite et bonne dieu au tour de 6:00 heures il ne pleuvait pas pour tout une heure !

Mais pour rendre une longue histoire tout court… (Photo)

Il pleuvait fortement.. La route était ennuyeuse. Il n'y a pas des vues comme dans les alpes. A l'autre cote de la route il y avait la signalisation pour le retour à Brest. Personne était sur la route, pas de publique, rien. Temps du chien prévu pour tout le parcours. En cause du humidité et la froide j'avais une tout petit peu mal aux ligaments. Alors le moral à zéro des questions personnel venait… pourquoi tu faites cela ? La réponse était « pour moi-même » ! Mais j'avais rien à prouvé, il n'y était pas du entourage, pas du soleil, que de la pluie, et mouliner. La certitude que dans la week-end il devenait beau et j'avais des amis aux Pays Bas pour rouler avec, j'avais décide de me arrêter à Loudéac après 455 km. J'avais que 15 minutes de retard sur mon schéma de 56 heures. Je n'avais pas mal aux jambes, ne pas mal aux fesses, justement une peu mal au genou. Mais j'étais hors moral. La moyenne à Loudéac était en total 29 kmh. Alors j'avais asses du temps pour me reposer une peu, roulé lentement pour arriver sous 80 heures mais ce aimeur du soleil voulait plus. Karin n'était pas contre car elle était épuise après une nuit dans la voiture sans dormir, cherché la route etc. Pour une voiture de suivi il fallait mieux avoir 2 personnes ! Par fois elle a juste gare la voiture et j'étais déjà là !

Une grande nombre des cyclistes à continue. Un grand chapeau pour eux. J'espère ils ont maintenant bien récupéré pour continuer faire du vélo ! 30% a abandonné et le nombre des gens qui sont arrivé dans les horaires prévu ne sont pas indiqué pour l'instant.

Et la prochaine PBP pour mois ? Je ne sais pas. Le bar va être plus haut et pour arriver sous 50 heures il faut 18000 km de entraînement dans l'année du PBP et beaucoup l'année avant. Cette fois ci j'avais que 8500km.

Mais rouler la nuite c'est fantastique et addictive.